The unofficial beginning of summer is here, and with it comes fun-in-the-sun vacation season! If you’re planning on including your furry friend in your summertime excursions, there are a few must-know safety tips to keep your cuddly canine, friendly feline or other four-legged pal safe and happy on the road.
- Secure your pet with a travel harness, carrier, crate, tether or dog/cat car seat.
- Always drive with your pet secured in the backseat. Airbags can deploy at over 200 miles per hour during an accident, so this will ensure that they are comfortable and out of harm’s way if something happens.
- Plan ahead and identify pet-friendly hotels along your route.
- Never leave a pet in a hot car. Temperatures can reach 120 degrees within minutes, so cracking the window is not enough! If you see a pet in a vehicle on a hot day, call the police or fire department immediately.
- If your pet takes medication, make sure you have enough on hand before you leave.
So whether you’re taking off to another state, or just making a routine visit to your neighborhood vet or dog park, make sure your buddy is cool, calm and collected.